When MINIBC is used as the payment processor on your store refunds need to be processed differently. Below we'll walk through our recommended processes for completing refunds for when MINIBC processes a transaction.
A note before we begin, MINIBC, unless otherwise confirmed through your MINIBC CSM or by our support team only allows for refunds post transaction settlement; this usually occurs at the end of the business day (local time). If you need to complete a refund before settlement your only option (at the time of writing) is to log into your gateway (Stripe, Braintree, Authorize.net or similar) and complete the refund there.
Single Item Order Refunds
If you'll be refunding a portion or the full value of a single item order, you'll need to navigate into the MINIBC application and follow the below:
- Navigate to the Orders section
- Search and/or select the order you want to refund
- Within the orders detail area select the Refund button
- Within the refund modal, you have the option to choose if MINIBC should mark the order as refunded within BigCommerce. This is the default option, if you would rather not do this, you can slide the checkbox (so it is grey) and MINIBC will simply refund the value and not change the order status within BigCommerce. Press Refund to proceed with the request.
- After a successful refund the transaction id of the refund should be visible under the Past Transaction section; this confirms the refund was processed successfully by MINIBC.
Line Item Refunds
If you'll be refunding a single line item of an order which includes taxes; then we'd recommend taking the below approach as it makes calculating the correct value more accurate:
- Navigate to BigCommerce Orders listing page
- From the Actions options, choose Refund from the available actions.
- Within the details page presented; choose the item(s) and their quantity you need to refund using the tools presented and then press continue. For a detailed review of this area see the BigCommerce Refunds documentation here.
- Within the next page presented (confirmation page), under Refund Method choose: Refund Customer through a third party provider. You'll need to note the calculated value here as this is the value you'll need to supply MINIBC to complete the monetary refund portion of the process. Press Confirm Refund once you've reviewed all items.
- You'll now need to login to MINIBC and follow the above (Single Item Order Refunds) process and when presented with the modal window for the value of the refund; enter the value you recorded from the BigCommerce refund calculations. You'll also want to uncheck the Update Order with Refund Details option as the order status would have already been updated.